METAL BRACES LOS ANGELES
Straight teeth are not simply a cosmetic matter. Having crooked teeth can make you more susceptible to dental problems, poor oral hygiene, and issues with oral function. Because of the potential long-term effects of misaligned teeth, leading Los Angeles orthodontist, Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen recommends that alignment problems be addressed with metal braces as early as possible.
WHAT ARE METAL BRACES?
Metal braces refer to an orthodontic appliance that we affix to the teeth. The system consists of high-grade stainless steel brackets and wires, which work together to move your teeth into the desired position. The small brackets are placed on the front of each individual tooth, and the wires are threaded through the brackets. The wires are custom shaped for each individual patient. Over time, the tension created by the wire-threading system repositions the teeth into their ideal configuration. Once it is all said and done, you should have a bright smile full of aligned teeth.
THE BENEFITS OF METAL BRACES
Clear aligners (Invisalign) are an excellent option for some patients. But not everybody may be an ideal candidate. For some individuals, particularly those with complex issues like severe overcrowding, braces are the best straightening option. They are effective, reliable, and proven to work. Dr. Nikaeen advises that patients consider metal braces if they have:
- Bad bites
- Severe malocclusion (crooked or crowded teeth)
For younger patients, metal braces can mean a more colorful smile–literally. Today, patients can choose from an array of stylized colors to highlight their “smile-under-construction” in unique ways.
HOW METAL BRACES WORK
Many patients don’t quite understand the process of changing teeth positions. As such, it can be hard to realize why the installation involves so many visits to their dentists and a lot of adjustments, not to mention the cost. The treatment sounds simple, but it requires a complex set of steps and adjustments.
Braces consist of several elements:
- Brackets: Square-shaped elements fixed to the enamel of your teeth
- Archwires: Designed to fix all the brackets together
- Various Bands: Serving to hold different elements and to change their position during the treatment.
Before the treatment, your orthodontist makes a cast model from your teeth. This is used to create a unique braces design to treat your dental problem. We achieve alignment through pressure created mainly by archwires; they press your teeth so that they can move forward, backward, or sideways.
PROS AND CONS OF METAL BRACES
Similar to all other braces types available on today’s market, metal braces have advantages and disadvantages you need to consider.
- Metal braces are the strongest option on the market, which is difficult to damage when eating hard foods or brushing your teeth.
- They provide the fastest way of aligning your teeth, all other things being equal.
- Unlike transparent and white-colored brackets made of ceramic, metal is resistant to staining and allows drinking tea, coffee, or wine without any bad effects.
- Braces offer the most affordable treatment compared to brackets made of other materials.
- Metal braces are highly visible that can be rather embarrassing for many people both adults and teenagers.
- Some patients and orthodontists report that metal braces cause more discomfort including metallic off-flavor, cold sensation when they are worn in sub-zero environments and irritation of oral mucosa.
Discuss metal braces’ pros and cons with your dentist to make the right choice.
METAL BRACES FOR ADULTS
Although Dr. Nikaeen suggests early treatment, metal braces can be worn by adults. Today’s metal braces are smaller and more comfortable than ever before. In addition, braces can be more efficient at fixing imperfections.
Despite massive orthodontic hardware improvements, some adults still have reservations about wearing traditional metal braces, as they tend to be more concerned with aesthetics. Meanwhile, most of our younger patients, who are used to seeing their peers with braces, tend to adapt to braces quite easily. Dr. Nikaeen works closely with adult braces patients to design the best orthodontic care to fit their lifestyles.