Los Angeles, CA– With more information emerging regarding the ways oral health affects the entire body, it’s easy to see that getting proper mouth care is essential to a healthy lifestyle. But just what is the orthodontist’s role, and why is it so important to find a good one?
What Is an Orthodontist?
Orthodontists are dentists who have completed four years of dental school and an additional two to three years of specialized study in the field of orthodontics.
“Many people equate orthodontists simply with cosmetic results like an aligned smile,” says Los Angeles-area orthodontist, Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen. “However, we are also concerned with the patient’s overall bite and oral health, with the ultimate goal of enhancing each patient’s general well being.”
Why is Finding a Good Orthodontist So Important?
Besides straightening their patients’ smiles, orthodontists serve to keep the mouth healthy. Training and experience also go a long way in giving a stronger likelihood for positive treatment outcomes, so these two factors are essential when choosing a qualified orthodontist.
Orthodontists, being very concerned with their patients’ teeth and bites, can help prevent, avoid, and/or treat the following problems:
- Tooth decay caused by crowded or crooked teeth, in addition to overbites and underbites
- Gum disease and tooth loss from malocclusions (“bad bites”) or poor oral hygiene practices
- Tooth erosion linked to tooth grinding or clenching
- Trouble chewing or talking from a misaligned bite
Furthermore, when patients find a highly qualified, experienced, professional orthodontist, they can potentially reap the following benefits:
- Better overall care when the patient is able to easily come to the orthodontist’s office for all scheduled appointments and follow-up visits
- A long-lasting straight smile when treatments are done as planned
- Heart disease prevention, as the link between oral health and heart disease has been shown time and again
- Healthy gums and jaws, especially when patients are seen by the age of 7 years old to prevent and anticipate future concerns
- Improved self-esteem from a healthy, beautiful smile
- Family discounts if the entire family is being treated at the same office
Questions to Ask an Orthodontist
For patients seeking a new orthodontist, the following questions may be helpful:
- How many years of experience do you have in orthodontics?
- Do you have before and after photos of work you’ve performed?
- Do you have any references or reviews available?
- Are you a member of dental organizations?
- What’s my overall treatment plan and timeline?
- How much is my treatment expected to cost?
- Are there financing plans available?
- What insurance do you accept?
- What are your office hours?
- What can I do if there’s an emergency related to my treatment?
- How do you help support home oral care?
Additionally, the American Association of Orthodontists has its own list of frequently-asked questions that may help guide patient decision-making.
If you’re interested in meeting with a well-educated, qualified, experienced orthodontist, schedule a free consultation with Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen today! You can also call her office at 310-444-1113 at your convenience.
About Us: Los Angeles-based orthodontist Dr. Nikaeen and her team are skilled and knowledgeable dental professionals, helping patients with optimizing their oral health. One of Southern California’s top orthodontists, Dr. Nikaeen is known to offer experienced and compassionate care to all her patients.
© 2017 Millionairium and Dr. Nikaeen. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Dr. Nikaeen are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.