Most people consider teeth straightening at some point in their lives, and getting a healthy and beautiful smile recently became much easier with the development of new orthodontic technologies. Ceramic braces, for example, have become one of the most popular teeth straightening options presented by today’s orthodontics.
According to top Los Angeles Orthodontist Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen, ceramic braces work similarly to traditional metal braces in that brackets are connected with archwires and bonded to the front of the teeth. Ceramic clear braces seamlessly blend in with the patient’s teeth color.
What are Ceramic Braces
A type of orthodontic treatment known as ceramic braces use transparent or tooth-colored brackets made of ceramic or porcelain. A specific glue is used to secure the brackets to the teeth. Wires are inserted through the brackets and gradually tightened to fix the teeth. While ceramic braces function in the same way as traditional metal braces, they are more aesthetically pleasing since they match the color of the teeth, making them a popular alternative for those self-conscious about traditional metal braces. Because they have smoother brackets that are less likely to irritate the mouth and thinner wires requiring fewer adjustments, ceramic braces are more comfortable than metal ones.
With ceramic braces, the patient can select either clear transparent brackets or brackets that match the teeth’ color. Transparent brackets typically work best for people with translucent teeth. Rubber bands surrounding the brackets are created in the same off-white color, and the extremely thin metal archwire is minimally noticeable.
Advantages of Ceramic Braces
- Durability: Ceramic braces are stronger and more durable, especially if manufactured with high-quality material. They are resistant to breaking and chipping even when used every day.
- Discreet: Ceramic braces aren’t as noticeable unless the wearer calls attention. There are several types of braces to choose from. For instance, wearers can choose semi-translucent ones with pearly whites or teeth-matching color ceramics for teeth that aren’t as white. The ceramic clear braces are intended to blend in, making the braces almost undetectable.
- Non-Staining: In the past, the invisible braces used plastic that caused stains during regular wearing. However, with proper care, the ceramic material in braces doesn’t stain so easily, thanks to advances in orthodontics.
- Comfort: Feeling metal against the teeth can be uncomfortable for almost everyone, but that’s not the case with ceramic braces. And they don’t irritate the patient’s gums like metal braces can.
What are Metal Braces
Metal braces are a type of orthodontic care that pressures the teeth to move them into the correct alignment using stainless steel brackets and wires. Using special glue, the brackets are attached to the teeth. The wires are then threaded through the brackets and gently adjusted to shift the teeth gradually into the desired position. For those who require orthodontic treatment, metal braces are a well-liked alternative and have been around for a while. Wide-ranging dental conditions, such as crooked teeth, overcrowding of teeth, gaps between teeth, and bite abnormalities, can be successfully treated with them.
Advantages of Metal Braces
- Durability: Metal braces can endure the forces of orthodontic treatment and are also quite durable. This makes them an effective choice for individuals participating in sports or other activities that could harm their braces.
- Cost-effective: Metal braces are a popular option for individuals with budgets because they are typically less expensive than ceramic braces.
- Effective for complex cases: Metal braces are typically more effective than ceramic braces for complex orthodontic cases. This is so that metal braces are more powerful than ceramic ones and can put more pressure on the teeth.
- Faster treatment time: Treatment time is typically quicker with metal braces than ceramic braces because metal braces typically require fewer adjustments.
Difference between Ceramic Braces and Metal Braces
- More aesthetically pleasing because of tooth-colored or clear brackets
- Less noticeable than metal braces
- Smoother brackets and thinner wires for increased comfort
- Less likely to cause staining on the teeth
- It may be more fragile than metal braces
- It may require a longer treatment time
- Typically more expensive than metal braces
- More durable than ceramic braces
- Silver color may be less appealing than tooth-colored or clear brackets
- Thicker wires and brackets may cause more discomfort
- Can correct a wide range of orthodontic issues
- Can withstand the forces of orthodontic treatment better than ceramic braces
- It may require more frequent adjustments than ceramic braces
- Generally less expensive than ceramic braces
Los Angeles orthodontic patients have so many choices today that it’s often more confusing than helpful. Ceramic braces appeal to conscious adults, teens, or children who want straighter teeth and a more aligned bite without traditional metal braces. If you are considering orthodontic treatment, we encourage you to contact us and discuss which option may be best for you. At Nikaeen Orthodontics, we are committed to helping you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile that you can be proud of.