“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Los Angeles, CA – Men, women, and children look forward to wearing braces and having a straight and healthy smile to show after orthodontic treatment is complete. While it is important to take pride in one’s appearance, many people may not realize that braces, and other orthodontic treatments, such as Invisalign, deliver additional health benefits as well.
Los Angeles orthodontist Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen points to several life-changing aspects – physical and emotional – that braces can deliver to the average patient. She said, “While orthodontic treatment can help patients achieve better aesthetics, braces, self-ligating braces (Damon Braces), and Invisalign also improve a person’s health in some very important ways. Not many patients realize this until they come in for a consultation.”
Braces & Invisalign Benefits for Improved Oral Health, Speech, and Digestion
Dr. Nikaeen is a major proponent of patient education, and does her best to inform patients of the ways teeth alignment through braces or Invisalign can lead to a healthier mouth and body. These include:
- Improved Dental Health: When teeth grow crooked or overlap, it creates tight contact between teeth that may act as traps for food particles. When food debris collect in these areas, daily oral habits like swishing, brushing, and flossing may not remove all collected food – this can lead to plaque build up and eventually cavities.
- Lower Risk of Gum Disease: When teeth are too crowded, flossing can be near impossible. If the floss can’t reach up to the gum line, the person may be at risk for gum disease. Patients who wear braces are able to brush and floss thoroughly, keeping teeth free of cavities while keeping periodontal disease at bay. Dental exams and cleanings will also be more efficient, saving time and money.
- Prevent Bone Resorption: The bones in our jaws require the right amount of pressure as we speak and chew. When teeth are misaligned, an imbalanced bite can cause too much force in certain areas, which may result in jaw bone resorption (shrinking). Wearing braces and engaging in treatments like Invisalign can ensure the proper amount of pressure and balance to keep the jaw bones as healthy as possible.
- More Clear Speech: Several factors can affect a person’s speech. Not only are the vocal cords important, but tongue movement, positioning, and teeth placement can also alter speech. We’ve all heard those little kids struggle with their “S” sounds after losing their front teeth. If a person’s teeth are pushed too far forward or too far back, it can cause speech impediments like lisps. Moving teeth into alignment with orthodontic treatment can improve a person’s diction, which gives them more confidence to speak up, not only in personal relationships but also professionally, such as during presentations or employment interviews.
- Better Nutrition and Digestion: Crooked teeth and bad bites can make chewing difficult, which can affect your digestion. Few realize that digestion occurs first in the mouth, as thoroughly chewing food can help the body break the particles down to extract the most vitamins and nutrients from the meals we eat. When teeth are aligned, chewing becomes more efficient, which enables the body to obtain the necessary nutrients, and prevents disorders such as anemia.
- Fewer Dental Injuries: Misaligned teeth are more likely to break or fracture during an accident. Crooked or jagged smiles can also irritate the cheeks and tongue when speaking and eating. Orthodontic treatment to straighten one’s smile can protect teeth from trauma, even in the most minor of accidents.
- Prevent Bad Habits and Jaw Pain: A person’s jaw joints may attempt to self-correct in order to help teeth fit together. Over time, this can cause pain in the jaw, as well as headaches and jaw popping. The person may select to alleviate these jaw associated discomforts with repeated over-the-counter medication; habitual consumption of these remedies can present health risks for the patient. Straighter teeth will fit together as they should, alleviating pain and discouraging the individual from unnecessarily using anti-inflammatory drugs.
Dr. Nikaeen added, “Orthodontic treatment provides patients with benefits that can last a lifetime. The person’s confidence improves while improving dental and overall health. A person’s biggest investment is him or herself, and the benefits of orthodontic treatment on a person’s life cannot be overstated.”
To learn more about the health benefits of braces, Invisalign, and treatments like Damon Braces, contact Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen at (310) 444-1113 or email for a free consultation.
About Dr. Nikaeen: Dr. Atoosa Nikaeen and her professional staff provide patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica with the highest level of orthodontic care. With treatments like braces, Invisalign, Damon Braces, and others, Dr. Nikaeen helps patients attain more beautiful smiles, higher self-esteem, and improved health.
© 2017 Millionairium and Dr. Nikaeen. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Dr. Nikaeen are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.