Congratulations, now that you have been fitted with the appropriate orthodontic appliance, you are on your way to a perfect smile! As your teeth are being straightened, Los Angeles orthodontist Dr. Nikaeen emphasizes the importance of maintenance: proper care of your braces or aligners can help prevent damage and keep your treatment on track. Here are some tips you can follow to protect your braces:
- Avoid chewy, crunchy, hard, and sticky foods. Nuts, candy, taffy, caramels, apples and other foods you have to bite into can bend wires and loosen brackets. It may be tough to say no to that box of popcorn at the movies, but remember food restrictions are temporary–and there are plenty of delicious alternate treats you can eat.
- Take precautions when playing sports or participating in recreational activities. Whether you are playing beach volleyball on the golden sands of Southern California or hitting the slopes on a ski trip, you should take extra care to avoid accidents. Although a spontaneous snowball fight is fun, you could wind up with an unwanted trip to the orthodontist. Also, if you play team sports, consider using a mouth guard or facial guard.
- Do not bite hard objects. We often chew on things that are harmful to our teeth without even realizing it. Chomping on pens and pencils, crushing a mouthful of ice, and biting your nails are habits best left to the side–especially if you have braces.
- Check your braces daily. Make sure your braces are firmly in place and nothing is awry.
- Do not forget to protect your teeth. Keeping your orthodontic appliance in top condition is essential, but it is also important to practice good oral hygiene. Brush and floss after every meal to help guard teeth against decay. After all, it is your future smile!
Orthodontic treatment is a short-term sacrifice for a long-term, transformative result. Taking care of your orthodontic appliance will help make your treatment time as short as possible. If you are in the LA metropolitan area and want to improve your smile contact us or request an appointment.